The intent of our Citizenship Curriculum is to deliver a curriculum which is accessible to all and that will maximize the outcomes for every child so that they know more and understand more.
Citizenship includes aspects of:
- Personal Health, Social and Citizenship Education (PHSCE),
- The Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning (SEAL),
- Fundamental British Values (Democracy, The Rule of Law, Individual Liberty, Mutual Respect and the Tolerance of those of different faiths and belief)
- Relationship and Sex Education (RSE) – The Christopher Winter Project
- Drugs and Alcohol – The Christopher Winter Project
The curriculum develops learning explicitly for each year group and results in the acquisition of knowledge and skills that enables our pupils to access the wider curriculum. As a result of this pupils will become healthy, independent and responsible members of a society who know how they are developing both personally and socially.
It will provide them with:
- the confidence to tackle many of the moral, social and cultural issues that are part of growing up.
- opportunities for them to learn about rights and responsibilities and appreciate what it means to be a member of a diverse society.
- skills to develop their sense of self-worth by playing a positive role in contributing to school life and the wider community.
- opportunities to prepare pupils to be global citizens now and in their future roles within a global community.
- the pupils will demonstrate and apply British Values of Democracy, Tolerance, Mutual Respect, Rule of Law and Liberty.
- encourages pupils to develop the skills of resisting peer pressure, resilience, empathy, self-awareness and assertiveness.
- keeping and feeling safe - including on line safety
- pupils will develop positive and healthy relationships with their peers, both now and in the future.
- pupils will know how to be safe and to understand and develop healthy relationships both now and in their future lives.
- pupils explore the complexity of the relationships they will have now and throughout their lives.
- they will have respect for themselves and others.
Displays throughout school and assemblies reinforce the citizenship curriculum which enables pupils to make links and use appropriate subject specific vocabulary.