Year 5 2019-20
Learning Support Assistant
Welcome to Year 5!
During the year, the children will take a trip back in time, learning about prehistory - ‘The Stone Age to the Iron Age’. They will also explore ‘The Ancient Mayan Civilisation’, and understand how they created a chocolate drink, when taking a trip to the York Chocolate Story.
In the Summer term, Year 5 set off on a three day residential to Robinwood, where they get to explore various activities from: archery, zip wiring, rock climbing, caving and much more. The residential helps the children embrace team work and offers the chance for them to experience a range of new activities.
They will learn about volcanic activity during the topic, ‘Extreme Earth’ where they will experience first hand erupting volcanoes.
Towards the end of the year, Year 5 take to the road and learn all about road safety when riding a bike in ‘Bikeability’. They will take part in numerous sessions in how to stay safe. (Our cycle shelter within the school grounds is available for our Year 6 children to use once they have passed their Bikeability Training in Year 5)
Things you need to know:
- Spellings are given out on a Tuesday and are tested the following Tuesday.
- Grid homework is given out at the beginning of each term.
- Our PE day is Friday but please have your PE kit every single day.
- Bring you planner to school every day.
- Read at least four times a week and sign your planner each time you do so.
- Complete a book review once a week – you will be given a day that this will be checked.
- Practice your timetables at least 4 times a week. Don’t forget to use the TTRockstars app!
- Year 5 visit the library on Tuesdays