Year 6 2019-20
Learning Support Assistant
Welcome to Year 6, the final year!
We begin the year with our topic, ‘World at War’. During this topic pupils will learn about life during WWII. Evacuation, the Blitz, rationing and the life of Walter Tull, are just some of the areas covered in this topic.
As the weather becomes colder, we study the topic, Frozen Kingdom, in the Spring term. As part of this topic, pupils will learn about Shackleton’s epic expedition to the Antarctic, as well as the Antarctic and Arctic Circle, climate zones and climate change.
The final year of primary school is a period of great opportunity for the children. As role models for the younger pupils, they take on increasing responsibility, e.g., tuck monitors and Year 1 morning helpers. They are expected to show growing independence and maturity as they prepare for transition to secondary school, both in their learning and when participating in exciting events such as the Year 6 ‘Enterprise Project’, part of their final topic, ‘Building Futures.’
Things you need to know:
- Spellings are given out on a Friday and are tested the following Friday.
- Grid homework is given out at the beginning of each term.
- Maths or literacy homework based on what has been taught that week, is given out on Fridays and is due back on the following Wednesday.
- Our PE day is Monday but please have your PE kit every single day.
- Bring you planner to school every day.
- Read at least four times a week and sign your planner each time you do so.
- Complete a book review once a week – you will be given a day that this will be checked by Mrs Howe.
- Practice your timetables at least 4 times a week. Don’t forget to use the TTRockstars app!
Please click on the pictures below to see the Age Related Expectations your child should be working towards by the end of year 6.
Files to Download
Year 6: Blog items
Year 6: Gallery items
Year 6: Events items
There are no Events items to display